Venison Pepper and Onion Loaf is a delicious Italian loaf, soaked with homemade garlic butter, loaded with venison sausage, Italian seasoned sauteed bell peppers, and onions and then a bubbly layer of cheese. Who wants some?
Venison Pepper and Onion Loaf is ready to devour in 20 minutes or less. You’ll have a delicious, better than any takeout meal that the whole family will love. This is another anytime meal–it’s good for breakfast or dinner.
When I make Venison Pepper and Onion Loaf I always have to double the batch and leave the peppers and onions off one of them for my son, Chase. I just leave it off and top the cheese with crushed red peppers. It’s so good, but I personally like it with bell peppers and onions better. You can also use ground venison burger or slices of venison steak. Get creative!
Save up to 70% in Cabela’s Bargain Cave! Free shipping on orders over $50. Some exclusions apply. Cabela’s Bargain Cave deals are updated weekly with new products and deep discounts. Check it out!
Venison Pepper and Onion Loaf
|Prep Time: 5 minutes||Yield: 2 Loaves cut into 8 Pieces (4 Pieces Each)|
|Cook Time: 15 minutes||Serving Size: 1 Piece|
|Total Time: 20 minutes|
- 1 Marketside Italian Loaf Bread 16 oz. (from Walmart)
- 1 lb venison sausage
- 4 tsp. olive oil (for frying)
- 1/2 large onion
- 1-2 bell peppers (I like to use different colors)
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- dash of salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Once heated, add the venison sausage and fry until it’s lightly browned. Remove from the heat and drain any excess oil/liquids.
- While the sausage is frying, thinly slice the bell peppers and onions. Add 1 tsp. of olive oil to a skillet and sauté until tender. Add the basil and oregano and lightly toss. Remove from heat and set aside for later.
- Put 6 Tbsp. of butter and 1 tsp. of minced garlic in a small bowl and heat in the microwave just until it’s melted–maybe 30 seconds. Add a dash of salt and black pepper. Split the bread down the middle and remove about 1/2″ of the bread from the center of each half.
- With a basting brush, put half of the butter and garlic mixture on each loaf half, making sure to coat the edges well.
- Divide the sausage and put half on each piece. Then add half of the onions and peppers and top with 1 cup of cheese each.
- Bake in a 375 F oven just long enough to melt the cheese, which is about 4-5 minutes. Place on a cooling rack or cutting board and cut each loaf half into four equal parts and devour!
The good, the bad, and the delicious…
- Because I’m not sure of the exact ingredients you will be using, I didn’t calculate the nutrition facts. However, I can tell you this recipe is not very diet-friendly recipe.
More Sausage Recipes…