Venison Nacho Salad is made of delicious taco meat on a bed of crunchy tortilla chips, drizzled with a spicy homemade cheese sauce, and topped with fresh tomatoes and lettuce.
Venison Nacho Salad is another one of our extremely simple recipes. It takes just over 10 minutes to make and you have a delicious home-cooked meal for eight…or for four people if they eat like my family.
This Nacho salad is made with our homemade seasoning, but if you don’t want to make your own you can always use your favorite brand of taco seasoning from the store. I personally like to make it myself because it seems to have a better flavor and it saves money.
Nacho salad a.k.a taco salad has always been one of my favorites foods. I remember getting them for lunch at school with a side of fruit. That was back in the day when children didn’t have to eat garbage for lunch like they do these days, but let’s not get on that subject.
Since this recipe has “salad” in the name, does that mean I can put this in the diet-friendly category? Nope, I didn’t think so. Oh, well. I’ll eat it anyway.
Venison Nacho Salad
Prep Time: 2 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
Serving Size: 7 chips, 1/4 cup meat, 1/4 cup of cheese
- For taco meat
- 2 lb venison, ground
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp.cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic or garlic powder
- 4 tsp. minced onion or onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 bag of Tostitos® Original Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
- For cheese sauce
- 8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 3 Tbsp. Mt. Olive Jalapenos, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 oz. sour cream
- First, fry the ground venison burger on medium-high heat, breaking it up as it fries until it’s done. This should take about 7 minutes.
- Then remove any excess grease and add your spices and water and mix well. Heat for two minutes. Then turn the heat to low and keep it warm.
- In a saucepan, add all of the ingredients for the cheese sauce and mix well. Heat and whisk on low heat until the cheese sauce is nice and creamy. If it’s too think, add more evaporated milk or milk.
- Place a serving size of (about 7) tortilla chips in a bowl or plate, sprinkle with 1/4 cup taco meat, then pour 1/4 cup of cheese over the meat and chips. Now add tomatoes, lettuce and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
It might look messy, but in my experience messy usually means delicious!
If you’re not into the salad topping, leave it off and enjoy!
The good, the bad and the delicious…
- Venison Nacho Salad is extremely high in protein and high in potassium, calcium, and iron and very low in sugar.
- It might also be too high for some in calories, fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
See tips below for making this a more diet-friendly recipe.
Venison Nacho Salad Nutrition Facts
|Serves: 8||Serving: 1 Nacho Salad|
|Calories 530||Calories from fat 31|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 7 g||33%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 140 mg||47%|
|Sodium 645 mg||27%|
|Potassium 930 mg||27%|
|Total Carbohydrates 39 g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||14%|
|Sugars 3 g|
|Protein 51 g||102%|
|Calcium 22%||Vitamin A 11%|
|Iron 44%||Vitamin C 7%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA, but were calculated by MyFitnessPal, Inc. by Under Armour, Inc.
To make this recipe more diet-friendly…
- Anything with cheese in it is going to be a little high in calories, fat, cholesterol, and sodium, but we can still change it to make it healthier.
- To help lower the cholesterol and fat use less fat in your ground venison burger. This recipe was calculated using 80/20 ground venison burger because that’s what most hunters use. If your burger has less fat this recipe will also have less fat and cholesterol. You can use ground venison that has no fat added and it will still be good!
- To further lower the fat use low-fat cheese or omit the cheese sauce and maybe only use a sprinkle of shredded cheese. This will also lower the calories and cholesterol.
- To help lower the sodium, omit the added salt, use fresh Jalapenos instead of store-bought canned Jalapenos, find a lower sodium hot sauce than Sriracha or omit the hot sauce completely, use a low sodium cheese and use no salt added tortilla chips.
- Whatever changes you make to your Venison Nacho Salad, you can recalculate the nutrition facts at myfitnesspal.com