Our Venison Hamburger Hash recipe is a simple comfort food made with ground venison burger, onions, potatoes, cream of mushroom soup and cheddar cheese.
This is a delicious recipe that doesn’t need much skill, which is probably why I like it so much. No, I’m not lazy but I love easy recipes. Well, ok, maybe sometimes I am lazy. Either way, this is a great recipe. You can serve it as a one-dish meal or you can use it as a side.
Venison Hamburger Hash
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Serving Size: 1 Square
- 1 lb venison, ground
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1.5 lbs. of potatoes (about 5 cups diced)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 10.75 oz. cans cream of mushroom soup, no water added
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Peel and chop the potatoes and onions.
- In a medium-high heat skillet brown and scramble the ground venison and onion and add salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Layer a casserole dish with the potatoes and add butter.
- Then pour the venison burger and onions over the potatoes.
- Mix together 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and the cans of cream of mushroom soup. Do not add water to the soup.
- Heat the soup in the microwave for about 30 seconds to help it spread more easily.
- Spread the mushroom soup over the layer of venison burger and onions.
- Press the Venison Hamburger Hash into a flat layer.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes on 375°F or until the potatoes are done.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese and pop it back in until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Check out our FB video…
If you’d like to mix it up a bit and add more ingredients to the hash the following are some things that I personally know are good. Any variety of bell peppers, corn, and bacon (already fried and broken into small pieces). You could add some chili seasoning and you could also use a different cheese other than cheddar.
Venison Hamburger Hash is a meal on its own but it goes great with big fat biscuits. Maybe that’s because I’m Southern and we love our biscuits! It’s really good if you sprinkle some sour cream and chives or green onions on top or if you add a ladle of chili beans on top. I know you’re probably thinking “yuck” but don’t knock it until you try it! It’s really great!
The good, the bad and the delicious…
- Venison Hamburger Hash is sort of low in calories, low in sugar, and is loaded with potassium, protein, vitamin A and calcium.
- Unfortunately, it also might be too high in cholesterol, fat, and sodium for some.
See my tips below for making this a more diet-friendly recipe.
Venison Hamburger Hash Nutrition Facts
|Serves: 8||Serving Size: 1 Square|
|Calories 334||Calories from fat: 57%|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21 g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 11 g||55%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 76 mg||25%|
|Sodium 885 mg||37%|
|Potassium 579 mg||17%|
|Total Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||15%|
|Sugars 1 g|
|Protein 23 g||45%|
|Vitamin A 28%||Vitamin C 12%|
|Calcium 42%||Iron 4%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA, but were calculated by MyFitnessPal, Inc. by Under Armour, Inc.
To make this recipe more diet-friendly…
- To help lower the cholesterol and fat, some of the cholesterol is coming from the venison. You could lower the amount of added fat to the venison or add no fat and that will help. The rest of the cholesterol and fat are coming from the butter, cheese, and cream of mushroom soup so you could skip using the butter and maybe just use spray oil instead. Also, use a healthier cream of mushroom soup or consider making your own which will be much healthier and probably taste better too. The same goes for the cheese–use a healthier cheese or maybe use half as much cheese as the recipe calls for.
- To help lower sodium making changes, as mentioned above, to the cheese, butter, and cream of mushroom soup will help. Plus, you can also omit the added salt or use a salt alternative.
- Whatever changes you make to your Venison Hamburger Hash, you can recalculate the nutrition facts at myfitnesspal.com