Everyone loves tacos, right? Well, this is basically a taco casserole of sorts that is loaded with flavor. It has the taco taste, delicious ground venison with spicy beans, tortilla chips, tomatoes, green chilies, onions and two layers of gooey cheddar cheese.
How does that sound? Does that get your taste buds excited?
Apparently, Spicy Doe Casserole is a teenagers dream! I made this recently while both of my son’s had friends over. It was devoured almost instantly! Then I heard one of their friends say, “This is awesome! Your mom is the best.” So, in order to keep the title of being “the best” next time I’ll have to make at least two pans.
It’s definitely a crowd-pleaser!
Feel free to print our recipe card:
Let it cool for a few minutes and cut down the middle long-wise, and then cut across twice, making six even squares.You can top with sour cream and/or salsa or eat it just as it is. It’s extremely filling!
The good, the bad and the delicious…
- Spicy Doe Casserole has a few essential vitamins and a lot of protein.
- Unfortunately, it’s also high in saturated fat and might be too high in sodium for some.
Please read below, after the nutrition facts, to learn how to lower the saturated fat and sodium making this recipe more diet-friendly.
These facts are based on the recipe itself and not any toppings you might like to add, such as salsa or sour cream, so if you add that or something else, please take note of the added calories, etc…
|Serving Size 368g|
|Yields: 6 Pieces||Serving: 1 Piece|
|Calories 545||Calories from fat 214|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23.8g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 11.8g||59%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbohydrates 43.6g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||30%|
|Vitamin A 32%|
|Vitamin C 17%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
To make this recipe more diet-friendly…
- The saturated fat and the majority of the sodium is coming from the cheese and the cream of chicken soup.
- You could use less cheese. Instead of two layers of cheese, you could only cover the top with cheese. You could also use a low-fat cheese.
- Use low-fat or low-sodium cream of chicken soup or omit it completely.