Creamy Macaroni and Sausage is my favorite meal to make. I guess it’s because it’s so easy to make, doesn’t need a lot of ingredients, and it only takes 25 minutes. It’s diet-friendly as well!
Don’t be fooled by the word “creamy” in the title though because it doesn’t contain milk, cream, or ingredients such as that, but trust me, it’s definitely creamy!
It’s very diet-friendly in that it only has 215 calories per serving, 13 oz, and it’s very filling. It’s hard to beat that! However, if you are on a low-sodium or low-sugar diet, you might need to make some changes to this recipe, but don’t worry–I’ve got you covered. Just read my ideas toward the bottom of this page.
I’ll let you in on a secret. I’ve eaten this for breakfast before. Yes, it’s that good. This is a dish you can eat anytime–breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack and you won’t feel guilty either because it’s only 215 calories!
I use to take this to work in my thermos bottle. Everyone would say, “What’s that smell?” and “Ummm, something smells so good” and of course they’d snarl their noses when I told them it was venison–the wussies. 😛
Dip some into a bowl and sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese and start smacking your lips. It goes well with garlic bread. Yummy!
The good, the bad and the delicious…
- Creamy Macaroni and Sausage is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It’s high in dietary fiber, selenium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
- It’s also very high in sodium and high in sugar.
Creamy Macaroni and Sausage Nutrition Facts
Nutrition Grade: B+
|Yields: 3.25 Quarts||Serving Size: 1 5/8 Cups (13 oz.)|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1.0g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbohydrates 30.6g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||23%|
|Vitamin A 30%|
|Vitamin C 28%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
To make this dish more diet-friendly…
- Don’t use Parmesan cheese.
- Leave out the Tbsp. of salt.
- These first two ideas would drop the sodium to 395mg, which is 16% DV compared to 53%.
- Use a whole wheat macaroni–even if it’s not elbow macaroni.
- This will cut out some of the sugar.
- You could omit some of the tomatoes and use water instead, but this will alter the taste quite a bit.
- This will also cut out some of the sugar.