Fried ground venison with chunks of onion and celery, mixed with cream of celery soup, topped with cheddar cheese, and toasted on a buttery Ciabatta roll.
I was making a shepherd’s pie for dinner one day and came up with this beauty. I made them that weekend and we all fell in love with this simple sandwich. The first batch actually had cream of celery soup and cream of chicken soup both in it, but I thought it would probably taste better with just the cream of celery soup and it was so that’s how I’ve made it ever since. I’ve also used cream of mushroom soup a few times too and it’s just as delicious.
I had the most difficult time trying to name this sandwich. Every name I came up with didn’t sound appetizing at all. I mean how good does Celery Sandwich sound? How about Venison and Celery Soup Sandwiches–ok, yuck!
I bugged my friend Liz to help me come up with a name and we finally decided on Cheesy Venison on Ciabatta. That sounds so much better 🙂 Regardless of what it’s called, one thing is true–it is absolute deliciousness!
Feel free to print our recipe card:
The good, the bad and the delicious…
- Cheesy Venison on Ciabatta is loaded with protein, vitamin a, calcium and iron and is low in sugars.
- These sandwiches might also be too high in calories for some and they are definitely high in fat, cholesterol, and sodium–ouch!
See my tips below for making this a more diet-friendly recipe.
Cheesy Venison on Ciabatta
|Yields: 6 Sandwiches||Serving Size: 1|
|Calories 533||Calories from fat: 35|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21 g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 10 g||50%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 130 mg||43%|
|Sodium 1117 mg||47%|
|Potassium 356 mg||10%|
|Total Carbohydrates 45 g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||14%|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 40 g||80%|
|Vitamin A 10%||Vitamin C 9%|
|Calcium 34%||Iron 34%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA, but were calculated by MyFitnessPal, Inc. by Under Armour, Inc.
To make this recipe more diet-friendly…
- To help lower the cholesterol and fat use less fat in your ground venison burger. This recipe was calculated using 80/20 ground venison burger because that’s what most hunters use. If your burger has less fat this recipe will also have less fat and cholesterol. You can use ground venison that has no fat added and it will be just as delicious!
- To help lower the fat even further use a low-fat cheese or use less or omit it altogether. Also, use a low-fat cream of celery, such as Campbell’s Healthy Request® Cream of Celery Soup. This brand will lower the fat, sodium and the calories.
- To help further lower the sodium use a salt alternative for the added salt in the recipe or maybe omit some or all of the added salt.
- Whatever changes you make to your Cheesy Venison on Ciabatta, you can recalculate the nutrition facts at myfitnesspal.com